Thursday, August 8, 2013

The book (THE 5th WAVE ) by: RICK YANCEY .

the 5th wave

After the 1st wave only darkness remains 
After the 2nd , only the lucky escapes.
And after the 3rd,only the unlucky survive . 
After the 4th wave,just one rule applies: trust no one 
Now it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, cassie runs from them. The beings who only look human , who roam the countryside killing nyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors . To stay alone is to stay alive , cassie believes, until she meets  Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan may be cassie only hope for rescuing her brother or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose ;between trust and despair;between defiance and surrender between life and death . To give up or to get up. 


sarha (review on goodreads)


When the aliens arrived, they didn’t respond to messages, their ship just hovered out in space, and Cassie chose to ignore them. Then came the EMP, and it was lights out. Then the aliens caused giant Tsunami’s, and then a plague spread by birds. 98% of the world’s human population dead.

16-year-old Cassie was lucky in that both her father and brother survived the first 3 waves, but now she’s alone, and she’s got one clear objective in her head – save her little brother from the aliens that took him from her.
Can Cassie ever hope to save her little brother? Who is the silent assassin who is stalking her? And is this really the end for humanity?


This was an interesting dystopian, with a sci-fi element, but I expected more.

We started off following Cassie, and I liked her. She was fairly feisty and determined, and she gave her all for her family. Then we switch to some kid calling himself Zombie, which was pretty confusing. I didn’t like Zombie as much, his depression and withdrawal from society made him difficult to really get a feel for.
The story then jumped back and forth between Cassie and Zombie, and every time it happened I had trouble working out who I was now following (maybe this is cleared up with some editing in the final version?), this could be easily solved.
Anyway, I liked the bits with Cassie, she was fighting for her survival, and trying to do the best by her family in a really stinky situation, but she never gave up hope.

The bits with Zombie on the other hand got old quick. There was stuff about training – military training, stuff about micro-chips inserted into people, missions etc. and unfortunately I got bored of this really quick. I got so bored in fact that I put this book down to read two others whilst trying to get through it. I mean, I’m a big fan of dystopians, this one just bored me in places, which was a really shame after such a promising start. Maybe the hype spoilt this for me, I don’t know, but I just didn’t like this one as much as I expected.

There was a bit of romance in this one quite strangely, although I did get a real déjà vu vibe at one point that reminded me very strongly of a similar plotline in ‘The Host’. I can’t say that I was that big a fan of the romance in this one though, it didn’t excite me, and if anything I was a little wary of trusting anyone in this dystopian world.

I thought the plot was okay, and some of the ideas were quite clever, but the slower and more boring parts just dragged so much that they kinda ruined it for me. I have read quite a lot of dystopians, and this one for me was pretty average.

One annoying thing that I have just suddenly realised though, is that the aliens don’t have bodies, they only have consciousness – they take over bodies (a bit like in ‘The Host’ only they don’t even have that much physicality.) anyway, if they’re planning on killing all the humans so they can have the planet to themselves, what are they going to live in? Are they going to use cockroach bodies or something? I mean realistically, if they kill all the humans, won’t they have nothing to inhabit? And if they only have consciousness and no bodies, surely they don’t need food, water etc. so what’s the point? I’m puzzled by this.
Overall; an interesting sci-fi/dystopian, but I expected more.
6.5 out of 10.
"

I loved this review , this is what made me pick  up this book.. I will have a review of my own when i'm done reading this book.. The 5th wave is my book for August.

If you have read this book  please leave me a comment letting me know how you like it or dislike it . Please go check out bookishandnerdy on YouTube . I really love her review on this book. Her review made me pick this as my August read's .. I love her channel .she makes you want to read this book and just find out what she is talking about and see if you feel the same . 

There will be a update blog on my thoughts and like and dislikes on this book so please come back and look for the update on the 5th wave from my point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment